June 4th, 2012, by Jon Lansner OC Register
Orange County housing hot spots are north and inland — and at the beach as countywide sales pace jumps 16%.
That’s a key highlight of our study of how recent housing trends hit various corners of Orange County. For the 22 business days ending May 16 — freshest numbers from DataQuick — our region-by-region analysis of local real estate sales patterns saw Orange County homebuying slicing up by geography this way …
- North Inland: 771 homes sold in these Orange County ZIP codes in this most recent period, +26.6% from a year ago. This was largest year-to-year gain among the four regions. Median selling price? $434,000 in these 22 ZIPs. This most recent median price change was -9.3% in a year. North Inland accounted for 25% of recent home sales vs. 27% a year ago.
- Beach Towns: 623 homes sold in these ZIP codes in the most recent period, +26.4% from a year ago. Median selling price? $630,000 in these 17 ZIPs. Median price change was -3.1% in a year. Beach Towns accounted for 20% of recent home sales vs. 18% a year ago.
- South Inland: These ZIPs — median selling price $464,000 — had 933 sales, +12.0% from a year ago. In these 19 ZIPs, median price change was -1.4% in a year. South Inland accounted for 30% of recent home sales vs. 31% a year ago.
- Mid-County: These ZIPs — median selling price $347,500 — had 784 sales, +7.0% from a year ago. This was smallest year-to-year gain among the four regions. In these 25 ZIPs, the median price change was +1.5% in a year. Mid-County accounted for 25% of recent home sales vs. 23% a year ago.
Broken down another way, total homes sales in ZIPs in the north and mid-section of Orange County were +15.9% vs. a year ago as homebuying the rest of the county ran +17.3% vs. 12 months earlier. Note:
- All told, countywide sales were +14.9% vs. a year ago. The median selling price was $418,500 for all residences sold in this period. That’s -2.7% in the past year. Note: 408 sales — 13% of all sales — were not included in the regional analysis because ZIP location could not be determined.
- How did your neighborhood fare? Check our ZIP-by-ZIP data HERE!
- Vote in our latest real estate poll HERE!